Monday, June 9, 2008

Thing 12

Social media sites.

Kind of different from del.icio.us. Delicious is just your list of website that you are keeping track of.

Also different from the Google reader which tracks changes in websites.

I joined Digg, because a colleague did. It seemed simple enough, but I am not finding many news outlet with a "Digg It" link. I tried adding an URL from my local paper but it was refused. It would also be nice that if an article is no longer available it would be dropped.

Newsvine is apparently associated with my local paper. I liked the "local news" tab.

reddit did not impress me. Not very good news stories, to me.

New York Times lets you Digg things. So do the other sites. That's neat.

I guess these would be useful for gathering news stories on libraries or local events or something.

I read a few articles but a couple wouldn't load. Oh well.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I think I felt the same way about these sites. As you go on with the things and pay attention as you surf, you will find you bump into more and sometimes things you might have missed otherwise show up. But it's not like the joy of discovery when you browse your familiar news sites.